Pre-cautions and Taboos to exercise Sauna Therapy
- Avoid alcohol and heavy meals before the sauna.
- For those with pregnancy, high blood pressure, heart disease, or other medical condition, please consult with your physician before beginning any hot water therapy program.
- The air can be relatively dry, or water can be sprinkled over the stones to increase humidity.
- Extreme sauna heat is dangerous for infants, young children, and the elderly. Do not let children play in or near a sauna without adult supervision.
- Limit time in the sauna to 15 to 20 minutes. Drink plenty of water before and after the sauna to replace lost fluids. The sweat glands can secrete up to 30 grams of sweat per minute, or almost one pint per 15 minutes, so dehydration is a very real possibility if you are not careful. Fatigue and other indications of dehydration can occur with as little as 1 to 2% loss in body weight.